Massacre of Scientists

One question I would like to ask is whether there is a
 general downturn of dinosaur studies or is it just
that certain sources of funding are being cut out. Can
some one give me a figure in US $s of the average
expenditure required to complete the excavation and
description of a medium-sized theropod. Evidently,
some academic paleotologist like Sereno, Clarke or
Forster get a limited set of funds from agencies like
Nat.geo to run their exploratory programs. Are these
funds also getting difficult to obtain these days?
Also is there a trend of good students now moving away
from paleontology? Why are museums are not very
effective generators of revenue these days?
-EA