Nebraska cuts

Hi all,

More details regarding the budget cuts here in Nebraska have been released. It looks as if the powers-that-be are backpedalling a bit and have 'adjusted' the proposal to relocate the zoology and anthropology collections, but retain the vertebrate and invertebrate paleontology collections. They are still stating that the research division of the State Museum and the Museum Studies masters program must be cut, but we're working on that. Supposedly these cuts will save the state $1.1 million.

There has been a lot of negative focus nationwide placed on the University of Nebraska at Lincoln's plan to eliminate 8 tenured faculty positions. They are now stating that they would "re-employ" some of the faculty into other positions and "hire up to 4 museum specialits to maintain collections". Draw your own conclusions.

One huge point about all these cuts that irritates the hell out of me is that there have been absolutely no cuts to the athletics programs. God forbid they take any money away from the freakin' Cornhuskers!

If you are interested in viewing the budget cuts, here's the link (it should be all one line):

http://www.unl.edu/pr/chancllr/2003-5budget/documents/20030317summaryrev.html

It saddens me to hear that Arizona is following suit. I've also heard from reliable sources that the state of Texas is considering pulling state support from ALL museums there.

When the economy sucks, science suffers.

The budget hearings are starting next week. I'll let you know when I hear more. Thanks for listening.

Patty

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

Patty Ralrick
2108 Power Dr.
Bellevue  NE  68005