Importance of having a ... (resend)

I apologize profusely for sending messages in the wrong format!
My original message was:
-------

Should everyone bother? they make my eyes hurt.

No, really, how many of you brush up on them regularly? (no bad pun
intended) I suppose most of you DO bother with it. How important do you
consider keeping reasonably up-to-date about them is? and lastly, what
advice can you give an undergraduate about it? is it a good idea to start
early and read some about the critters and what should I read first?

If you could also point at some good starting references I would be very
grateful.

-Roxton