re: Anurognathus

Thank you, Dinosaur List.

Recent posts had me going back to my originals. Lo and behold, old
confusing wrinkles in the matrix suddenly make sense.

The dorsal frill on Anurognathus is larger than I suspected -- but that
makes it more similar to the other dorsal frills I've been finding.  The
frill extends beyond the right pes (stage left). The line of what
appears to be membrane seemingly stretching between metatarsal IV and
digit V actually runs beyond digit V and so may be interpreted as part
of the decoration of the frill. I've seen this elsewhere as well. Good
membranes are unambiguously present on the other foot, but only between
digits I-IV and here digit V is broken so there is no good reference for
membrane observation.

The sacral portion of the frill covers the wing phalanx (4.3 of the
right wing, but appears stage left) that otherwise seems to disappear
just as it nears the torso. Also the tail wraps over it and the hair
tuft that tips the tail is quite visible as a series of chevron-like
(nested Vs) lines. Anurognathus is completely articulated, except for a
dislocation of the femur from the pelvis as the torso turned over.
Appearances to the contrary are due  to overlying membranes.

I'll send jpgs of the insitu tracings to anyone interested. It's about a
1 Mg file.

The dorsal frill and uropatagium overlaps portions of Batrachognathus.
That's why some parts appear as impressions, but it's all there and
articulated and quite visible when you're ready to see it. I suspect
that Chris's new anurognathid will also have a series of parallel lines
emanating from the body  but only to the left or right sides, not both.

New stuff:

>From its parietal crest Anurognathus has a long plume tipped with a
diamond shape. Jeholopterus has a shorter crest, longer plume without
the tip and "Peteinosaurus" (= Exemplar 3359) is similar to
Anurognathus. On the same subject, the "missing" cervicals of
"Peteinosaurus" are all lined-up "north" of the scapula overlying the
premaxilla, maxilla, jugal and an inverted mandible. If anyone wants to
rebuild the face of "Peteinosaurus" it is possible. And when you do
you'll find that the mandible of Exemplar 3359 in no way matches the
mandible of 2886. Instead its a basal anurognathid and needs a new name.
And that's why the tail comes to a funny-looking abrupt end. It's
starting to morph!

David Peters
St. Louis