Re: Anurognathus dorsal frill

I had not gotten these images from Dave, and did not ask, though I was
curious. (In the future, Dave, could you send these to me, automatically,
asd I truly do wish to see them? sometimes I am just none to brave.)
However, I have looked at them with the benefit of a friend who sent them
to me. My own observation of the *Anurognathus* plate Dave prepared to
study for integument was, in fact, that the material he suggests
represents a wing with regular "fibers" along the membrane are easily just
wing membrane, rather than a dorsal frill. This is problematical, in that
the skeleton shows the same integument used to suport the frill shape as
being around the foot and along the leg, and within the wing sail, rather
than external to it. This leads one to doubt this membrane is anything
more than the cheiro, tenio, or cruropatagia. The "fibers" in the membrane
are in perfect position to be aktinofibrils. Food for thought. Sailfish
sails are bouyed by water, and perform a roll-preventing stabilizing
copntrol, which most flying animals do not need to contend with, dealing
with wings as they do, which do the same thing. Such a structure in a
flying vertebrate is simply not likely, though I do not say they could NOT
exist. But the absence of a selective pressure for them, when there are
wings, would seem to imply such a thing is less likely to be true than
membrane structures in the wing only.

  I would like to see more thoughts on this.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden