Re: Anurognathus dorsal frill

Seeing is believing

With regard to techniques for studying anatomy (skeletal or otherwise) in
pterosaurs, or indeed other fossil vertebrates. The use of ultra violet
light is a well-established if under-used technique (that can also be
used to sunburn your eyeballs). Note, however, that the structures
'revealed' by UV techniques are (at least so far as I have seen in
pterosaurs) also visible using other techniques such as ordinary
binocular microscopes, or even the naked eye. UV just helps to make
things a bit clearer. By contrast, the computer-based technique that has
been reported by Peters on the DML identifies structures that, so far as
I am aware, have not been previously seen in particular specimens (even
using UV light) and are not evident to other workers using standard
techniques (e.g. light microscopy). Moreover, so far as I am aware, there
has been no independent verification of any of the numerous new
structures 'seen' by Peters. I am quite happy with the many 'low quality'
drawings of pterosaurs that have been published by workers such as
Bennett, Frey, Kellner, Martill, Padian and Wellnhofer because they match
what is evident in the actual fossil specimens and they are reliable.

Dave

(PS I'm not in the list of pterosaur workers because even horses can draw
better than me, apparently).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
David M. Unwin PhD

Institut fur Palaontologie, MUSEUM FUR NATURKUNDE
Zentralinstitut der Humboldt-Universitat zu Berlin
Invalidenstrasse 43, D-10115 Berlin, GERMANY

Email: david.unwin@rz.hu-berlin.de

Telephone numbers:
0049 30 2093 8577 (office)
0049 30 2093 8862 (department secretary)
0049 30 2093 8868 (fax)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx