Re: Anurothus dorsal frill

David Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<I'm simply encouraging the use of superior technology. And the results
speak for themselves. Its verifiable. It's emailable. And it's just going
to take some getting used to.>

  As Silvio Renesto wrote, this technique is only verifiable if one has
the original slab to counter-check observations; which he did, and had a
variety of problems doing so. The irregularity of the slab surface WILL
cause features to show up. This is even more evident when preparation is
at play around bones, but the technique suggests that there were features
in these areas prepared away. This requires extensive double-checking.
This is not an argument against the technique, but a caution on its
"discoveries." The technique discussed in a recent paper in
_Palaeontologica Electronica_ only found use of the camera to digitally
enhance, rather than "discover" materials.

  There is a simple test as to determinants of features as found through
this technique. Get a slab/counterslab set of a fossil from any Lagerstät
bed, such as Chengjiang or Messel, which no one has seen. With the manner
in which these fossils have been found, this should be very easy. One slab
is sent to an individual who, only knowing the methodology of the
technique, then prepares to use it to discover features on the slab that
may represent unrecovered features. The other slab is treated to
conventional techniques (camera lucida, x-ray, UV, microscope, etc.) by
another person who has no communication with the first or the person
managing the test, and the two researchers' results are compared when
complete. This would be a double-blind test that would then be compared by
a third research or group. The ready availability of the various
techniques would be made available, of course, but this would remove the
subjectivity of what is expected, at least partially.

  Something said in this thread made me curious, in that upon "discovery"
of a unique structure or serious of them in one animal, Dave then went and
"found" these in every other taxon he recovered a slab preservation. Was
there, in fact, and expectation of recovery? I do not know, Dave. I would
like to have a clarity of mind on this matter.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden