dorsal frills et al.

To paraphrase an old adage from Mad Magazine:

To find one is probably a glitch.

To find two is probably a laughable coincidence.

To find three should make you pause.

To find four -- well, someone is obviously pulling a practical joke on you.

To find five, it's time to look for six, seven  and eight.

To find nine, it's time to tell your friends to start looking too.

To find ten, it's time to write a paper.

By verifiable, I meant immediately. On a layered file you can peel away the
layers with a click of a button, to check what you've drawn. Most of the time I
don't know what I've traced -- even after tracing it. Only when I start applying
colors do the bones reveal themselves. And they are symmetrical. Long bones
match in length. There are no duplicates (like three tails). I can't wait to go
to Europe and China to check my work. And I'll have the benefit of knowing what
I'm
looking for before going.

I also test by making reconstructions. And I also test by plotting characters
in a cladogram. Tonight I discovered that I made a lateral digit in the pes of
Dorygnathus too short. On another night, I had the same problem with the tibia
of
Germanodactylus rhamphastinus. You bet I have errors, but I have multiple means
of finding them and correcting them.

Jaime's test is a good one. So good, in fact, that it has already happened --
but I'm sworn to secrecy for the present, as you might imagine. Sorry.

I have also been as forthright as possible with my findings -- hiding nothing.
I'd rather have someone else find the errors than to perpetuate even one.

Re: Silvio's problems in replicating my results -- am I forgetting something or
am I not in the loop here? Silvio and I have worked together on similar
problems -- always, I'm led to believe, to good results.

"Preparation at play around the bones" is something I must be wary of. That's
why I took so long (a few days) to announce the discovery. Of course, that was
my first thought too.

Re: an expectation of discovery: If you find a skull, you look for the neck. If
you find a sacrum you look for the tail. I looked at over 70 pterosaurs with
this technique before the frill popped out. If it takes you any number less,
then
you are a better palaeontologist than I am and I congratulate you ahead of
time. I had Anurognathus done, finished last spring without a dorsal frill.
Then two weeks ago -- back to the drawing board.

Remember when we were raising the tails of Tyrannosaurus and Stegosaurus off
the ground? Well it's kind of like that, all over again with pterosaurs.

With best wishes for all.
And I sincerely hope this is the last of the mysteries pterosaurs are going to
reveal because I dearly want to get back to the quiet existence of my cladogram.

By the way, the (Huanhepterus + ?Ctenochasma porocristata + azhdarchid) naris
never became confluent with the antorbital fenestra. And yes, I have pictures.
And yes, I have an answer for the "solid" rostrum of Q. sp.

David Peters
St. Louis