Re: Notes from the under-matrix.

"Old school" means not using tools that have been around since the mid '90s,
like Photoshop, to see what has been overlooked before. Nothing more. I was
"Old School" until about a year ago.

The problem is this: professionals like Chris and David are ceding interesting
discoveries to goofballs like me, who never had a geology course and last
dissected a frog in junior high. That's wrong and it should be stopped.

Thank you, Jaime, for the geology lesson. I had no idea. Nevertheless, whatever
the taphonomy of the fossil or the degradation of the sediment, a set of dorsal
plumes and a baby are visible, probably to the unaided eye. Photoshop just
makes them pop more.

Here's how I know: I'm using as my source a university photocopy (you know how
bad they are) of the small halftone of the specimen found in, I think, Don
Glut's dinosaur encyclopedia. Yuck!

If I can find a baby with that handicap, it should be visible to the unaided
eye under low-angle lighting conditions. Plans are afoot to do just that.
Chicago is the closest baby to me and there should be a paper soon.

Anyone wishing to find the nycto baby can follow my path. If someone out there
wants to be the Independent Observer, let me know what you find.

Best of luck,
David Peters