From: Allan Smith [mailto:fossilsmith@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 10:15 AM
To: edels@msn.Com
Subject: RE: Notes from the under-matrix.

List,

Let me first start by saying that I am the LEAST qualified person to
talk to
this issue, however, I have a very good cast of AMNH 1942 and have been
looking at it under every possible light. I have not been able to find
any
traces of babies so far... still looking though. I do realize that many
of
the stains that David is referring to were not correctly painted onto
the
cast, making identification from that standpoint impossible.

There are several very unique raised surfaces that "could" possibly
indicate
a form still buried within the matrix, but again this is only a cast.

Something I have always found unique about this specimen is that it
contains
at least seven  small starfish surrounding the specimen. Pretty cool
little
slab.

Allan D. Smith
Fossilsmith Studios