Re: Fwd: Re: New Study, T rex Could've Been A Scavenger

Ivan Kwan (dino_rampage@hotmail.com) wrote:

<Personally, i think this study has many, many flaws. It's highly
improbable that Tyrannosaurus had a reptilian metabolism,>

  Actually, not to be objectionable, but its very possible that
*Tyrannosaurus* had a poikilothermic, essentially partially ectothermic
metabolism, even if megathermy or "terramegathermy" were in play,
essentially a "reptilian" metabolism. It was a reptile, and a fairly large
one. Relative power output and size of the body obviates certain
mechanical features in the legs, even if they scale as large ornithomimids
do; their proportions are still above and grossly distinct from those of
ornithomimids, including having longer femora, broader tibiae, and more
"incrassate" limb bones generally. I do not think a histology of their
bones has been done in which to conbclude relative calcium/oxygen
resporption and decay rates, as have been done for sauropods,
*Giganotosaurus*, and various hadrosaurs and other ornithopods. Relative
power output studies, such as the Hutchinson and Garcia paper, appear to
suggest relatively large "fast walk" thrust potential, strength in leg,
great turning power, which would imply close-quarters power movements, or
"struggling" behavior handling well. Good if you're "wrestling" a
ceratopsian or hadrosaur when you're hungry. It doesn't take much speed to
effectively control territory, either; a case example may be the hyena,
which let off their inane howls when in scent of prey, warning all
(presumably) that they are coming ... they can make a good bid for meat,
living or dead, when on the hunt. Imagine a tyrannosaur bellowing or
roaring or whatever its unknown voice box could produce (very loud, I'm
sure), and this is not so odd an idea, even if unprovable.

  Still, I'd like to see this study when it is available to me (no
subscription of the Proceedings, unfortunately.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden