Re: putative Javelina T.rex specimen

Tim Donovan wrote:

>About a decade ago, a paper on variation in T. rex stated that TMM

     For those who enjoy bibliographic references:
     Carpenter, K, (1990). Variation in Tyrannosaurus rex. In Dinosaur
Systematics: Approaches and Perspectives (K. Carpenter and P.J. Currie, Eds.),
pp. 141-145. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK.

     FYI: Another tyrannosaur authority has expressed similar doubts to me
personally.

>41436-1 belonged to a different taxon as the specimen indicated a much
>shorter face than in T. rex. More recently, C. Brochu suggested TMM 41436-1
>is T. rex after all.

     From what I recall of HP Brochu's comments, he was MUCH less decisive in
his assessment. Something like "it could be T. rex."

     This specimen is currently under restudy by myself and Ron Tykoski. What
is there will be redescribed and reillustrated, in light of the work Molnar,
Holtz, Carpenter, Brochu, Carr, Currie and others have contributed since
Lawson's original study. With luck, we may present preliminary results at a
forthcoming meeting.