Re: Fwd: Re: New Study, T rex Could've Been A Scavenger

HP Jura wrote...

> Regardless of what Bakker, Paula and others have stated on the matter,
> there is still no reason for _T.rex_ to not have been a bradymetabolic
> "good reptile." Work by Nicholas Hotton,
> James Farlow, James Spotila, Walter Auffenberg (to a lesser extent)
> and others, have shown that a large bradymetabolic
> animal can do just as well as a large tachymetabolic one.

"Large" being the teeny tiny Komodo monitor. And I haven't read a rebuttal
to HP GSP's idea that bradymetabolic animals are simply incapable of
growing as fast as big dinosaurs did (remember our last discussion).

> Some studies even show a general trend towards
> bradymetabolism in larger animals

True, but not true enough -- which is why an elephant still needs big
ears, despite having lower metabolic rates per mass than a mouse.

> (which makes sense, if the entire point
> of being tachymetabolic is just to keep
> warm).

Well, it isn't. Who said it was? What exactly the point is is still not
clear, but endurance looks like a good idea, as does brooding.
        Apart from that gigantothermy doesn't work for pretty much
anything with a shape different from a sea turtle's.

> and statements about a lack of aerobic potential make no sense
> either (carrier's constraint in many modern reptiles is do to anatomy,
> not thermophysiology).

For how long can a bipedal lizard run? Or a baby croc gallop?