Re: Bitten Ornithopod on This Side Of Hell?

----- Original Message -----
From: <Danvarner@aol.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: Bitten Ornithopod on This Side Of Hell?

> msdonovan66@hotmail.com (Tim Donovan) writes:
>
> << Nick Gardner wrote:
>
> >No, I don't see why I would mean Edmontosaurus or Anatotitan,
particularly
> >since neither hails from Lance Creek, AFAIK.
>
> Not only are they present in the Lance they are relatively more abundant
> there than in the Hell Creek. >>
>
>        I would really hesitate to say that. To my knowledge, there are no
> accurate databases to support that statement.

Kirk Johnson was compiling a database of stratigraphic and geographical data
from the Hell Creek Formation, but I'm not sure of its current status.

> Or are there? Besides, it's my
> impression that the Hell Creek/Lance exposures are overrun with commercial
> collectors tripping over themselves looking for "T.rexes". I haven't seen
> much published data on biostratigraphy from them lately. Of course, I
might
> have missed it.

As near as I can tell, nearly *everyone's* Hell Creek/Lance stratigraphic
data sucks or is severely lacking. The PTRM in Bowman, ND has a pretty
killer database (all tied in to the K/T boundary), and I understand that MOR
and Berkeley are now doing the same thing. In the end, I'm not sure what all
of these stratigraphic data are going to mean without a good marker bed or
two to correlate them across the four-state area. Ah, if only the Hell Creek
was a nice, uncomplicated marine unit! ;-)

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Box P301
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD  57701

Phone: 605-394-2817

E-mail: andyfarke@hotmail.com