Re: A Whole Bunch Of Questions

Dino Rampage wrote:

Hi everyone, here's another whole bunch of questions that've been nagging at my subconscious for the past week or so. Here goes:

1) What is the status of the Euhelopodidae? Is it considered basal to the Neosauropoda? And are Euhelopus, Omeisaurus & Mamenchisaurus still considered a monophyletic clade? Would Shunosaurus be considered closely related to, or part of Euhelopodidae?
2) Is Tarascosaurus salluvicus considered an abelisaur?

Yes AFAIK.

3) Among the 3 Late Cretaceous European sauropods, Ampelosaurus, Hypselosaurus & Magyarosaurus, which are known to have possessed armour?

Ampelosaurus definitly.

4) What's the general consensus of the number of species of Torosaurus & Triceratops: Are there 2 species in each genus, or just 1?

Two Triceratops species are recognizd by Forster: T. horridus and T. prorsus.

5) How does Styracosaurus ovatus differ from S. albertensis?
6) What is the youngest age for Saurolophus?

IIRC Eberth indicated that Saurolophus is known from units 3 and 4 of the Horseshoe Canyon. It definitely was present in the early and mid Maastrichtian of North America but is unknown from the Lancian; there is no evidence for its survival to the K-T. I agree with Jerzykiewicz and Russell that the best estimate for the age of the Nemegt, which also yields Saurolophus, is c mid Maastrichtian. It probably persisted into the early late Maastrichtian on both continents but not to the end.

Did Saurolophus survive
until the K-T?
7) Did Charonosaurus really look like a giant Parasaurolophus?

Hard to say, inasmuch as Charonosaurus specimens lack complete, intact cranial material.

8) What species of Goniopholis is known from the Late Jurassic of North America?
9) Just how many species of phytosaur are known from the late Triassic of North America? I know a great number of them were referred to Rutiodon, but now we have a whole bunch such as Paleorhinus, Nicrosaurus, Pseudopalatus, Leptosuchus, Angistorhinus & Smilosuchus in addition to Rutiodon. Can anyone provide me a clear picture as to how these different phytosaurs differed from each other?

_________________________________________________________________ Download Norah Jones, Eminem and more! http://www.msn.com.sg/ringtones/