Re: Sufferin' Sauropods

In a message dated 11/1/2003 8:56:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
zone65@bigpond.com writes:

> The way their
> legs are depicted in popular art, it seems they would have been
> unsupportable. I propose they had far more heavily-muscled
> legs than
> the gazelle-like limbs they're generally depicted with.

     Ok, I have to chime in here.  Statments like these are not consistent with
biomechanics.  Bones take up a tremendous amount of the compresive stress for
terrestrial vertebrates, especially in graviportal animals.  Larger muscles are
really better correlated with increased locomotor function (e.g. running)
rather than with holding up tremendous amounts of mass.  Also, areas like
sauropod manus, ankles, and lower shanks are operated by tendons, so making
them thicker does not add more muscle, but rather more dead weight, making
locomotion more difficult.  Without intending any offense to Peter Markman or
others with a similar opinon, "intuitive" views are basically based on on
traditional restorations, which are often simply in gross error.  Thus our
intuition is wrong because of art history; there is not some form of special
knowledge that can be grasped from our preconceptions.
     That being said, I personally restore more muscles on the calves than is
often done, because the size of the cnemial crest and other muscle origins
suggest (to me) less elephantive muscles than others see.  Another problem is
that many people still use mass estimates that are out of date and generally
way too high (diplodocus does not reach 30 tonnes, not matter what the BBC
says!).  Either way, work by Alexander and others shows that the bones of
sauropods are easily strong enough to hold them up.

Scott

Scott Hartman
Zoology & Physiology
University of Wyoming