Re: Sufferin' Sauropods

Kris Kripchak (MariusRomanus@aol.com) wrote:

<Wait... I have an idea... Maybe the sauropods were drunk and afraid that
their wives would catch them. Why not? I mean... it fits just as good with
the track evidence. Forget thoughts on the surfaces being wet and that
pesky slipping aspect if moving at a fair rate of speed, thus the need to
slow down... But why does an animal need to move fast if not under some
sort of threat or looking for something? Can't an animal just be allowed
to mozy??? My cat walks around so damn slow that you'd think he envied
snails... But just try to catch him.>

  Indeed. The problem with trackways, and often the benefit to them, is
the preservation of an exact moment. But it only preserves _a_ moment. The
speed of a sauropod can only be tested with the trackways, and unless we
find a trackway showing a sauropod moving more exceptionally than what it
appears to have (around human walk speed) we can only think that that
sauropod is moving at that speed, and based on the prevalence of speeds
taken from various tracksites around the world and through time, sauropods
_generally_ moved at slow speeds. Even when show predator and prey, as in
the Paluxy River tracks, only the theropod track shows a speed up. It is
thus inferred that a sauropod ambled through its life at a slow, human
walk speed. Even crocs show their bursts of speed during exceptional
periods, and can exceed human run speeds and my father himself observed a
croc running a man down, but then, sauropods are not chasing people and
one needs exceptional periods to test exceptional ideas. Sauropods likely
didn't run, but this doesn't mean they _couldn't_.

=====
Jaime A. Headden