Re: Sufferin' Sauropods

Mike Keesey (mightyodinn@yahoo.com) wrote:

<But wouldn't it be more accurate to say that sauropods generally moved at
slow speeds *in muddy areas*?>

  I could say that the evidence only points to sauropods moving at these
generally "slow" speeds in the particular preserved terrains, being flat
and marginally to strongly water-saturated terrains. But then one must
wonder why sauropod tracks aren't perserved in soil (changes seasonally,
and deposition methods to preserve such would be rare events indeed) or
gravel, or etc. and then it would make sense why we typically only show
the speeds in the terrains preserved. My argument would be that trackways
preserve the speed and until otherwise noted, I can't think we should
assume a higher speed without otherwise corroboratory data. Perhaps
biomechanics will permit higher speeds, but even then, an elephant and
more than double its "typical" walk speed, so biomechanically speeking,
highest speeds are not an average speed, but as in us and elephants,
towards the lower end of the spectrum, which was what I was getting at.

=====
Jaime A. Headden