FW: Attn: Paleo Artists

The following was posted to the Vertebrate Paleo List:

From: owner-vrtpaleo@usc.edu [mailto:owner-vrtpaleo@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Jason Anderson
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 3:45 PM
To: 'vrtpaleo@usc.edu'
Subject: Attn: Paleo Artists

Hello all,

The College of Veterinary Medicine at Western University, Pomona, California
( http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/veterinary/home.xml ), is North America's
newest veterinary school, the first in the United States in 20 years. Our
brand new building is serving many functions, from hosting 30 Problem-Based
Learning breakout rooms, to a state-of-the-art Multidisciplinary Classroom
where students learn anatomy with real surgical instrumentation and
procedures, and a large walk-in cooler and freezer for the keeping of
anatomical specimens. We are also partly an art gallery, and are currently
showing watercolors done by a local artist. Shows are rotating on a 2-4
month period, and focus on animals, as befits a vet school.

This is a call to determine whether there is sufficient interest among
paleoartists to support a show dedicated to the extinct relatives of our
current fauna. You will receive a beautiful space in which to exhibit your
work, the exposure that being in North America's second largest metropolitan
center brings, and the pride of participating in what could be the largest
single showing of art dedicated to vertebrate paleontology (to my
knowledge). Our intended centerpiece for this show is a beautiful mount of a
saber toothed cat. You are free to display works that are for sale or are
privately held. We are also considering a reception to benefit the Society,
although this is still in the early stages of development.

Please contact me off-list for further information or to indicate your
interest. Please give me a rough estimate of the number (and size) of works
you would like to submit if possible. Our space is best suited to hanging
works; the possibility of sculpture will be considered on a case-by-case
basis (we have a professional sculpture on our faculty and are very aware of
the needs of displaying such works). Works by departed artists and technical
illustrators are also welcome, should your institution have some in storage.
Please feel free to pass this message on to interested parties who might not
subscribe to vrtpaleo.

I thank you all for your interest and hope to make this exhibition a
success!

Sincerely,

Jason Anderson

Jason S. Anderson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anatomy
College of Veterinary Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences
309 E. Second St., Pomona, CA, 91766-1854
Phone: 909-469-5537 FAX 909-469-5635
Email: janderson@westernu.edu

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist