Re: The bigger they were...

Joshua Cotton wrote:

> Probably the biggest problem with the sauropod wading theory is not the
> columnular legs, but the compact feet.  I might agree that they wade every
> now and then if their feet spread wide, but instead they have small compact
> feet that the whole body weight was focused on.  These would sink into the
> mud on the river/ lake bottoms quickly, leaving the hapless sauropod
> hoplessly mired.

And yet elephants aren't phased by mud. In fact, they seek it out to
wallow in in hot weather (and to keep bighting insects at bay). It would
have to be very deep mud indeed in order for an adult sauropod not to be
able to pull its feet free. Such deep mud is generally dangerous to all
but feather-weights, and thus avoided by any species (unless you're a
Jacana or a mudskipper).

The manus-only prints of sauropods may represent forays into muddy
areas, since the more compact front feet would likely sink slightly
deeper. As the solidified deposits wear down, eventually only manus
prints are left.