Biplaneraptor

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this onlist before, but one thing that has
caught be about the apparent dual-winged Microraptor is the similarity
between the trailing leg feathers, and the trailing leg feathers of certain
extant "raptors" (eagles, hawks, etc.). I can't help but wonder if the leg
feathers in Microraptor functioned the same was as these extant animals
(stabilizing the rear legs while extending/ed for a strike on prey).
Certainly seems feasible to me, but then again this is all just visual
similarity. I obviously haven't done any detailed biomechanical/aerodynamic
studies on the subject. Just chiming in again...
Peace,
Rob

Student of Biology
Northern Arizona University