Re: The bigger they were...

Richard W. Travsky wrote:

>> Hmmm. Anything found that looks like a sauropod (or other beastie) wallowing
>> spot? <<

You know this HAD to have been going on with dinosaurs. Imagine what a living
hell, sauropods for example (but this goes for all of them), had to endure with
biting insects swarming around their faces, especially their nostrils... gettin
at those soft blood rich tissues. (I wouldn't count out that their nostrils
were laden with parasites like lice either.) Given the monsoonal regimes the
animals apparently were under, I tend to think there was a particularly bad fly
season, as is seen up here in Alaska, where the animals were almost driven
insane. I remember being up in Quebec right after the ice had gone out. Things
were fine for about a week, but then it started to get warm. As soon as the
temp hit 80, it was like the gates of hell opened up. On came the head nets and
long sleeves... but not before one of those suckers sliced out a chunk of skin
from my eye lid, leaving me a nice circular scar. I'll never forget seeing 3
moose come running out of the woods not 15 feet from!
  o!
ur boat and diving into the river to get away from the flies. And this is just
a modern comparison when it comes to insects... I often wonder if there were
any types of nasty little suckers that were able to slice through the edges of
scales and dig their heads in like ticks out of some B-movie horror film.

And I guess I might as well bring this up... If any of you saw Dave Peters'
talk on the Chinese Vampire, *Jeholopterus ningchengensis*, I hope you were
thinking the same thing I was as to where this little monster was feeding. If
Dave is right about this animal, then I'm sure that wherever there was soft
skin... nostrils, eyes, cloaca... you would find this little nasty attached.
And the more I think about it, that being there were large vats of blood
wandering around for the taking, I do find it entirely plausible for there to
have been animals other than insects that were utilizing this readily available
food supply. No reason why not.

Kris

http://hometown.aol.com/Saurierlagen/Paleo-Photography.html