laser scanning fossils

Jodie wrote: I was wondering if there are any
examples of important specimens (such as holotypes) being held in
private
hands but are recorded in a registry?

nyctosaurs. A very good thing to do.

Also, with regards to holotypes, is
there much use of laser technology to record details? ie scanning the
fossils, and using that as a database instead of physically holding the
specimen.  Is this feasible?

issue, apparently, because the examples shown looked like candy. But the
great thing about it is that skewed fossils can become unskewed through
a graphic reversal process.

David Peters

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have a few questions about
technology and the recording of fossils.  I'm currently doing my PhD on
fossisl proteciton in Australia, and I was wondering if there are any
examples of important specimens (such as holotypes) being held in
private
hands but are recorded in a registry?  Also, with regards to holotypes,
is
there much use of laser technology to record details? ie scanning the
fossils, and using that as a database instead of physically holding the
specimen.  Is this feasible?

Feel free to reply off list, (jodie.houston@anu.edu.au)

Thanks,

Jodie

Jodie Houston
Regulatory Institutions Network
Research School of Social Sciences

Ph (02) 61253293

Live fast, die young, leave a good looking fossil!