Re: Laser scaning fossils?

Jodie Houston wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have a few questions about
> technology and the recording of fossils.  I'm currently doing my PhD on
> fossisl proteciton in Australia, and I was wondering if there are any
> examples of important specimens (such as holotypes) being held in private
> hands but are recorded in a registry?

You're probably already aware of Kakuru:

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/kakuru.htm

In the old days before laser scanning, plain old casts were taken. If,
as in the case of Kakuru, the holotype material is in private hands, the
cast becomes the plastoholotype. The current owner tried to sell it some
time ago, but no-one could match his asking price. He fears that when he
dies, whoever inherits it may well cut it up to sell the opal content.
Let's hope nothing happens to that cast! A really good quality laser
scan of the material would probably preserve it better than plaster
though.