Vertebrate morphologists - interphalangeal joint query

Apologies for the cross-posting!

As an offshoot of a thread on the dinosaur listservice the question of
whether any vertebrates are capable of active voluntary abduction and/or
adduction of the interphalangeal joints has arisen.  I am not aware of any
vertebrate that is capable of active voluntary abduction and/or adduction of
the interphalangeal joints, rather as far as I know the IP joints are only
capable of active voluntary flexion and extension and
depending on the strength and arrangement of the interphalangeal ligaments
involuntary, and therefore passive, adduction, abduction, and rotation of
the IP joints.  Again as far as I know, active abduction and adduction of
the digits only take place at the metacarpophalangeal and
metatarsophalangeal joints powered by the interossei and the special
abductors and adductors of digits I and V.  If anyone knows of an animal
that can
actively adduct/abduct the interphalangeal joints, please let me know.

Thanks.

Chris

S. Christopher Bennett, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Basic Sciences