Re: Erratum: Looking for Reference Works

-------------------------------
Mike Taylor wrote:

> Oops.  My so-called "summary" of what people had told me about
> references for animal anatomy was missing the following, potentially
> very important contribution:

>         From: Richard Ellis <richellis@nyc.rr.com>
>         Subject: Reference Works
>
>         In about a year, Oxford University Press will issue Eliot
>         Goldfinger's "Animal Anatomy for Artists." It probably won't
>         have weasels, but it does have buffalos, cats big and small,
>         canines, elephants, giraffes, primates, etc.
--------------------------------

I just dug into a dusty shelf and retrieved the following book:

AN ATLAS OF ANIMAL ANATOMY FOR ARTISTS
By W. Ellenberger, H. Dittrich, H. Baum
Edited by Lewis Brown
©1949 & 1956 Dover Publications

The original book was apparently issued in 1901 and, thanks to Dover
Publications' mission to reprint fabulous and fascinating old books,
republished, beginning in the mid-1900s. I picked up my paperback copy
in the late 70s for $7.95.

The skeletal and muscular anatomy renderings are exquisite. Included in
several views are the horse, dog, lion and cow. Treated less completely
are the goat,
stag, roe, and cat. The Dover edition has thoughtfully added a few bonus
drawings by Stubbs and Cuvier of the horse, monkey, seal, hare, flying
squirrel, bat, and rat kangaroo (whatever that is).

There are new ($10.36) and used (less) copies available through
Amazon.com. It's a heck of a deal.

- DONNA BRAGINETZ