Re: up Pompeii

At 05:01 AM 13/11/03, Christian Darkin wrote:
It occurred to me that there must be thousands of sites around the world
where prehistoric eruptions of this type took place, and where preserved
casts of whole animals might be made in the same way that those of
people in Pompeii were created (i.e. bodies being covered in volcanic
dust which solidified into rock before the bodies rotted away leaving
cavities).

There is a famous example of a mold of an early rhinoceros (Diceratherium) found near Spokane, Washington, and since adopted (I believe) as the state's official fossil. A search on "Blue Lake Rhino" will turn up some pictures.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court