Re: up Pompeii

Careful with your logic! Cities don't run, and people can and do stupid things,
like staying in the path of hurricanes, getting a close as possible to
tornados, no leaving homes in the path of fires, not fleeing volacmic eruptions
("why leave? It has beltched smoke before!"). The closest examples to Pompeii
is Ash-Fall Fossil Beds in Nebraska where Miocene Rhinos and horses were buried
(the specimens are left as found); there are also multiple levels of tree
stumps in volcanic debris in Yellowstone National Park (but, then trees are
like cities - they can't run). There is absolutely no evidence that the
immediate cause of death at the Chinese lake sites was due to volcanism. For
example, the birds do not occur among pumice layers signifying an eruption. The
feathered dinosaurs at different levels within the deposits can't be explained
by volcanism. Other mechanisms must be at work.

Ken

>>> "Christian Darkin" <christian@darkin.demon.co.uk> 11/13/03 03:02 AM >>>
Hi,
I just went on a visit to the buried city of Pompeii.  It occurred to me
that in my limited understanding, there wasn't actually anything all
that special about the nature of the eruption that covered the city, and
that the reason we remember it is purely because there was a city there.

It occurred to me that there must be thousands of sites around the world
where prehistoric eruptions of this type took place, and where preserved
casts of whole animals might be made in the same way that those of
people in Pompeii were created (i.e. bodies being covered in volcanic
dust which solidified into rock before the bodies rotted away leaving
cavities).

Apparently something similar happened to the bird/dinosaurs in China.

It just seems surprising that the search for dinosaur Pompeiis aren'
well publicised - potential sites ought to exist given the data which
I'm assuming exists about the history of eruptions, and the rather
obvious geographical signs of volcanoes.

Sounds like this kind of search would be just the stuff that popular
science programmes and magazine articles would love to get hold of...
they'd be so monumental if discovered.

That's just me talking as a journalist...

Christian Darkin