Re: Note to Plesiosaur Artists

so, what is this error you are hinting at?

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology &
Chief Preparator
Dept. of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205

Phone: (303)370-6392
Fax: (303)331-6492
email: KCarpenter@DMNS.org

For fun:
 http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Kcarpenter

>>> <Danvarner@aol.com> 17/Nov/03 >>>
I've seen several recent restorations of the short-necked plesiosaur,
Dolichorhynchops, that are showing the same error. I suspect the reason is that
folks
are using the Sternberg Museum specimen assembled and studied by Orville
Bonner as is. The skull is dorsoventrally crushed and adjustments should be
made
or you'll end up with a Tex Avery polycotylid. DV