Re: feathered dinos and bird taphonomy

Now that Ken Carpenter has given his response, I would like to make it clear
that I did not mean to say that he was endorsing the sale of rare Chinese
fossils, and that if anyone interpreted my previous message as implying that
he did, I can assure you that this was not my intention.

I just wanted to point out that the trade in significant fossils from China
represents a serious threat to the science of paleontology, and that in my
understanding it is unlikely that any feathered dinosaur specimen could have
made its way into a private collection outside of China without violating
Chinese regulations.  I will, of course, defer to anyone who knows
differently.

Best wishes,

----Ralph W. Miller III