Re: Meteroic Evidence For Permian-Triassic Extinction

I believe the canonical 90-95% figure comes from the work of David Raup and Jack Sepkoski on marine invertebrates, which are extremely well-represented in the fossil record. That data must be about 15 years old, and has been quoted so often it's become part of the folk wisdom.

I don't know what other analyses have been done more recently, or if anyone has attempted to average the effects over all species at the time. It's quite possible that marine invertebrates suffered disproportionately from the marine anoxia and sea-level change at the time. -- Jeff Hecht