Re: A Converter to the Birds are Dinosaurs Camp(I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!)

John Bridgman wrote-

> Upon looking at all the evidence you have shown me regarding the
> bird/dinosaur relationship,I have come to a simple conclusion:
>
> YOU ARE ALL ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!

Hallelujah!
It's always good to see my posts have an effect, and to see someone's
beliefs coincide with the scientific evidence.
However, as of now you have only our word that the evidence we presented was
true (and I don't think any of us who critiqued you has even graduated from
college).  I strongly suggest you start looking in the primary literature to
prove to yourself what we've been saying is true.  Here are some references
illustrating various points we made-
* I can send you copies of those with asterisks.

That Caudipteryx is a dinosaur-
Barsbold, Osmólska, Watabe, Currie and Tsogtbaatar, 2000. A new
oviraptorosaur (Dinosauria, Theropoda) from Mongolia: The first dinosaur
with a pygostyle. Acta Paleontologica Polonica 45(2): 97-106.
See http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Jan/msg00820.html
*Xu, Cheng, Wang and Chang, 2002b. An unusual oviraptorosaurian dinosaur
from
China. Nature 419, 291-293.
Zhou, Wang, Zhang and Xu, 2000. Important features of Caudipteryx --
Evidence from two nearly complete new specimens. Vertebrata PalAsiatica
38(4):241-254.
See http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Feb/msg00333.html

That coelurosaur feathers are not collagen-
*Currie and Chen, 2001. Anatomy of Sinosauropteryx prima from Liaoning,
northeastern China. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 38, 1705-1727.
*Ji, Currie, Norell and Ji, 1998. Two feathered dinosaurs from northeastern
China. Nature, 393: 753-761.
Ji, Norell, Gao, Ji and Ren, 2001.  The distribution of integumentary
structures in a feathered dinosaur. Nature 410 (6832) 1084-1088.
See http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Apr/msg00683.html
Padian, Ji and Ji, 2001. Feathered dinosaurs and the origin of flight. In:
Mesozoic Vertebrate Life, edited by Tanke and Carpenter. Indiana University
Press, p. 117-135.
Schweitzer, Watt, Avci, Knapp, Chiappe, Norell and Marshall, 1999.
Beta-keratin specific immunological reactivity in feather-like structures of
the Cretaceous alvarezsaurid, Shuvuuia deserti. Journal of Experimental
Zoology 285: 146-157.
*Xu, Zhou and Prum, 2001.  Branched integumental structures in
Sinornithosaurus and the origin of feathers.  Nature 410: 200-204.
Xu, Zhou, Wang, Kuang, Zhang and Du, 2003. Four-winged dinosaurs from China.
Nature Vol. 421 pp. 335-340.
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/zo501/4WingedDino.pdf

On the sorry state of the birds-aren't-dinosaurs movement today-
Czerkas and Yuan, 2002. An aboreal maniraptoran from northwest China. In
Czerkas (ed.), Feathered Dinosaurs and the origin of flight. The
dinosaur Museum Journal Vol. 1 The Dinosaur Museum of Blanding, Utah.
See http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Sep/msg00774.html
Czerkas, Zhang, Li and Li, 2002. Flying Dromaeasaurs. In Czerkas (ed.),
Feathered Dinosaurs and the origin of flight. The Dinosaur Museum Journal
Vol. 1 The Dinosaur Museum of Blanding, Utah.
See http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Sep/msg00774.html
*Feduccia, 2002. Birds are dinosaurs: Simple answer to a complex problem.
Auk. 119, 1187-1201.
Makovicky and Dyke, 2001. Naive falsification and the origin of birds. In
Gauthier and Gall (eds.). New Perspectives on the Origin and Early Evolution
of Birds. 501-510.
Padian, 2001. The false issues of bird origins: An historiographic
perspective. In Gauthier and Gall (eds.). New Perspectives on the Origin and
Early Evolution of Birds. 485-500.
*Prum, 2002. Why ornithologists should care about the theropod origin of
birds. Auk. 119, 1-17.
*Prum, 2003. Are current critiques of the theropod origin of birds science?
Rebuttal to Feduccia (2002). The Auk. 120(2), 550-561.
*Prum and Brush, 2002. The evolutionary origin and diversification of
feathers. The Quarterly Review of Biology. 77(3), 261-295.
Witmer, 2002. The debate on avian ancestry: Phylogeny, function and fossils.
In Chiappe and Witmer (eds.). Mesozoic Birds: Above the Heads of Dinosaurs.
3-30.

Mickey Mortimer