Furculae

I hate to play the skeptic here again, but the announcement at:
http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/096799-4686-009.html
about a furcula found on a 2/3 grown _T. rex_ says that the fragment is 10.5
inches long (26.67 cm) and is 3/4 of its original size.

In Chris Brochu's monograph on FMNH PR2081, "Memoir 7, Osteology of
_Tyrannosaurus rex_:  Insights from a Nearly Complete Skeleton and
High-Resolution
Computed Tomographic Analysis of the Skull," pp. 95-96, he writes:

    "The putative _T. rex_ furcula figured by Larson (2002) is furcula-like,
but is more likely homologous with the putative p23 rib and is not associated
with the appendicular skeleton."

    "Based on relative size of the furcula [for FMNH PR2081] and other
postcranial elements in other tyrannosaurids, we estimate the furcula of FMNH
PR2081
(whether or not this bone is a furcular fragment) to have been approximately
20 cm in length.  This seems rather short, but the furculae of other
tyrannosaurids are also rather short."

So, a fragment of a "furcula" in a _T. rex_ which was not fully grown is
longer than a complete furcula would have been in a mature _T. rex_?   Not even
using Jim Cunningham to do the math :), the complete furcula on the
Indianapolis
specimen would have been 35.36 cm compared to FMNH PR2081 at 20 cm?

Mary