Re: Furculae

From: MKIRKALDY@aol.com

So, a fragment of a "furcula" in a _T. rex_ which was not fully grown is
longer than a complete furcula would have been in a mature _T. rex_? Not even
using Jim Cunningham to do the math :), the complete furcula on the Indianapolis
specimen would have been 35.36 cm compared to FMNH PR2081 at 20 cm?

Hmmm... I'm looking at Makovicky and Currie's paper on tyrannosaurid furculae, and the largest furcula they report measures upwards of 25 cm (estimated for Daspletosaurus). Knowing a T. rex was considerably heftier than than ol' Daspleto, I wouldn't think 36 cm to be completely out of the question for a T. rex furcula. Unless, of course, we see a trend towards smallenizing (yes, I made it up) the furcula throughout tyrannosaurid evolution...

Just a thought.

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

AIM: jslice mallon