Re: Styracosaurus

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tracy L. Ford" <dino.hunter@cox.net>
To: <timlee3005@earthlink.net>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 12:33 AM
Subject: Styracosaurus

>>Hello,
I have a few questions regarding some specimens of the
ceratopsian,Styracosaurus.<<

>>First,is the skeleton of this genus on display in the American Museum of
Natural History(which I understand has a skull that is heavily reconstructed
with plaster) the female form of S.albertensis,or does it represent a
different species like (taking wild guesses here) S.parksi (if even
valid),or S.ovatus?<<

>The problem is the type skull is dorso-ventrally crushed so it's thinner
than it should be. S. parksi is just bits of the frill and nothing much
else. They made the skull look like Centrosaurus (which is probably
correct). Ovatus is larger than those two and from a different formation.<

I forgot to ask this last time,apart from size difference,how is S.ovatus
distinguished from S.albertensis?I ask because I have never seen any
photographs or even illustrations of the skull of S.ovatus,but would like
to.

>>Second,do any of the Styracosaurus bonebeds have specimens that have both
the Centrosaurus like skulls as in the AMNH specimen (if all the Centrosurus
like features aren't just part of the plaster reconstruction,I don't know)
AND those with skulls shaped like that on the S.albetensis skeleton at the
Canadian Museum of Nature in the same bonebed?<<

>Unfortunately the Styracosaurus bone bed has not been described other than
in a thesis so I don't know if they had. I do know that no Centrosaurus bone
bed has a Styracosaurus in it. Also the Styracosaurus skeleton at the NMC
has never been described! The material was collected after the skull was
described.<

Is this the aforementioned dorsal-ventrally crushed type skull?I have
noticed the general flatness of it.

>I've been told by Thom Holmes that they will soon be taking the
mount down and describing it.<

That would explain why the Canadian Museum of Nature website no longer lists
it as one of the dinosaur skeletons they have on display.

Thanks,
John Bridgman