RE: bullatus = ?

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Tommy Bradley
>
> Greetings fellow Listers,
> I've got another species name query.  This time about Gallimimus
> bullatus.  I've found to vastly different translations for bullatus:
> 1). "Pneumatic"
> 2). "Knobbly, puckered, or bubble-shaped."
>
> Which is right.  And why was this name chosen?

bullatus = inflated.

The bulla was an ornamented hollow bead worn by Roman youths, for example.
Gallimimus was named "bullatus" in reference to the inflated hollow
parasphenoid capsule (subsequently found in some other theropods).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite