Re: Kid in a Candy Factory

Dear Michael and Dinolisters:

Having just returned from a 7,000 mile trip through the Western U. S. (plus
Alberta, of course), I recommend seeing lots of dinosaur museums to anyone
who can spare the time and money!

By the way, my personal favorite museums in terms of ingeniously interactive
and entertaining natural history displays on this trip were the North
American Museum of Ancient Life in Lehi, Utah -- outstanding!! --  and the
Museum of the Rockies.  The Old Trail Museum 2 Day Paleontology Course in
the general vicinity of Egg Mountain in Choteau, Montana was also a great
experience for my family.  The Fossil Butte National Monument visitor
station was cool in that they had some nice fossil rubbing plates and the
rangers even encouraged visitors to try their hand at picking the matrix off
of one of their abundant fish fossils.   As for the Royal Tyrell and
Dinosaur Provincial Park, well... I don't have all day, so don't get me
started!

Michael, (who I remember from the Florida Symposium), I suggest you visit
the following:

Fernbank Museum, Atlanta, Georgia
Children's Museum of Indianapolis, Indianapolis Indiana (a work in progress
that will be completed in 2004)
Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, Illinois (obviously)
Chicago Children's Museum, Navy Pier, Chicago, Illinois (ask if the
_Suchomimus_ mount is on display)
Burpee Museum of Natural History, Rockford, Illinois (home to Jane, the new
"_Nanotyrannus_")
Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee Wisconsin (has several big dioramas)
Science Museum of Minnesota, Saint Paul, Minnesota

I haven't been to the first two or the last two on the list, but from what
I've seen, you should check them out.  I'm assuming you want a reasonably
straight path, so I'm omitting obvious out of the way destinations such as
the Carnegie.

Looking for parasite exhibitions?  Those varmints are typically banished to
the off display collections, to spare the faint of heart.  I can't help you
there.  ;^)

Have an edutaining trip!

-------Ralph W. Miller III