pachycephalosaur domes

Good day,

I just have a quick question re: pachycephalosaur domes... could they have been covered in flattened scutes, such as is seen here: http://www.geocities.com/demetriosvital/Stygimolochspinifer72JPEG.jpg (might have to cut and paste the address, if clicking it doesn't work)
Or were the domes more likely simply covered in a smooth sheath of keratin, like what we're most used to seeing? Is there any evidence for the the former representation? I've seen Greg Paul illustrate his pachycephalosaurs with that same "mud-cracked" skull dome, too.
Thanks,

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

Website: http://www.geocities.com/paleoportfolio/