RE: Tyrant boots (was RE: Questions)

> Steven Mahon wrote-
>
> > > Tyrannosaurids lack an ischial foot.
> >
> > What?! Do they or do they not?! Does Eotyrannus have
> > it or not!?
>
> Well, the holotype of Tyrannosaurus has an ischial foot.

>(Speaking of which, it might be worth it to get to Pittsburgh again to
>confirm if the boot is real or not...)

Okay, folks, I'm in Pittsburgh, on top of the T. rex holotype.  Are you
looking for an ischial foot or the pubic one?  You would think there is a
small expansion of the distal ischium, until you notice that the last 10 cm
or so of each has been artfully plastered. There's nothing anyone would call
a foot, with or without plaster.  The pubic boot is a real honker, but
broken caudally.

Unless we x-ray it, there's no determining how far the bone extends under
the ischial plaster.  Looking at the way they did the skull (the bones of
which we just removed from the plaster in the reconstruction), the bone
could extend far beneath the plaster, close to the end.  When Carnegie
Museum gets around to revamping Dino Hall, perhaps that x-ray will be done.
The specimen will be remounted, anyway.

It's nice to be so close to this puppy.

Happy day to all,
Yvonne