Re: Gasosaurus constructus

Dear all,

  Tommy Bradley (htomsirveaux@mybluelight.com) wrote:

<_G. constructus_ has to be the easiest species name after maybe _T. rex_ to
decipher, but it has me totally baffled!  I get the part about its discovery by
a Gas Company, but what's the deal with _constructus_?  I'm sure it has
something to do with the common English words Construct and Construction, but
I'd like to know what was the specific citation.>

  *Gasosaurus constructus* was named for a federal oil & gas company that had
begun construction in the area for a vehicle park, and whom had revealed the
Dashanpu Dinosaur Quarry which was until recently the most famous Chinese
Mesozoic fossil site; to molify them after Dong had gotten them to cease digging
and destroy the Dashanpu quarry, Dong named his new dinoser for them,
"gasosaurus" being a translation of the Chinese qi-leong (yeah, I know, I know)
or dragon of energy/air/gas, etc., and "constructus" to favor the company as
well. The name is not a perfect aliteration of a phrase meaning the "gas
construction [company] lizard."

  Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden

  Little steps are often the hardest to take. We are too used to making leaps in
the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do.  We should all learn
to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us rather than zoom by it.