Re: Shapiro et al.'s new ornithomimosaur

Nicholas Gardner wrote:

How do you account for the "near-arctometatarsalian" metatarsus of _Microraptor_?

I was only considering the arctometatarsalian condition itself which is all that either Kobayashi & Lü (2003) and Shapiro et al. (2003) discuss. I did not think it was relevant to discuss other conditions as the list was already aware of them.

To rephrase the question: Given the fact that you believe the arctomet condition evolved multiple times in coelurosaurs, do you think the near-arctomet condition of _Microraptor_ as (a) incipient or (b) a secondary reversal of the fully arctomet condition.

Tim

Tim

Fast, faster, fastest: Upgrade to Cable or DSL today! https://broadband.msn.com