Re: Age of Gobi formations

Dino Sniffer () wrote:

<Not to get too off track, but since Jaime keeps bringing geology into these
discussions, we might as well get it right, right?>

  Not to place blame for participating in this discussion on anyone else, as I
willingly invited myself into it, but I never introduced geology into the
discussion, Dino Sniffer seems to have forgotten or overlooked Tim Donovon's
statements of geological and biostratigraphic corrollaries and basaltic dating
of the so-called pre-"Nemegtian" sites by Shuvalov -- in turn citing a paper
(Shuvalov and Nikolayeva, 1985) I doubt anyone on this list has ever seen or is
likely to see outside of St. Petersburg, Russia.

<First off, there is no such word as "inconformity" as was used by Jaime in
describing the situation with the Morrison and overlying Cretaceous units.
Probably, Jaime meant to say disconformity or even unconformity.>

  Since that use of "inconformity" appears to have been the only usage of that
spelling in this whole discussion and there have been extensive usage of
"unconformity" prior by myself, I would consider this some rather pointed
nitpicking. There are far more reasons to nitpick in this discussion than one
use of "inconformity."

<Second, nowhere does the Sundance Formation overlay the Morrison Fm.  It
underlies and interfingers with the Morrison, but does not occur in a position
between the Morrison and the Lower Cretaceous succession.>

  Perhaps I am loosing my mind, but an interfingering occurs as an overlay
deposit that, from site to site, vary in relative depths and that at each site,
the two formations are distinctly separate. One is overlaying the other. The
Sundance _does_ overlay the Buckhorn Conglomerate, which _may_ be part of the
Morrison, and above this the unconformity divides the Lower Cretaceous
succession. The Sundance has been treated as Upper Jurassic--Lower Cretaceous in
its extent, not exclusively Upper Jurassic, and even if it weren't, it would
still divide the Cedar Mountain and Morrison, so I am not certain how the above
cited paragraph has proven me wrong.

<It is absolutely CRITICAL to nail down the stratigraphic position of fossils as
accurately as possible in order to avoid problems of biostratigraphic
uncertainty, faulty paleoecological interpretations, and all 'round nonsense
associated with lack of good data.>

  Ah, sounds like an accusation. Do you have some data that proves my qualities
and arguments _towards_ certaintly when the strat data I have been challenging
is not at all certain, nor its faunal qualities effectivelty _certain_?

  Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden

  Little steps are often the hardest to take. We are too used to making leaps in
the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do.  We should all learn
to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us rather than zoom by it.