Re: questions and comments about new research

>  Did you get this year's abstracts yet?

Oh, sorry, yesterday I got the pdf, but I've just started reading.

> IMO Starkov had a better case: giant theropods co occur with the largest
sauropods e.g. Sauroposiedon, Argentinosaurus, Paralititan, Alamosaurus.

They certainly should co-occur with big prey.

> It should have, given their ability to exist in a variety of environments,
not that a great variety was represented in the east, which was less
mountainous.

The Appalachians should have been a bit higher than now... and we don't know
exactly what that variety of environments was, do we?

> >> If large habitat area was conducive to gigantism, why did Dryptosaurus
> remain relatively small to the late Maastrichtian?
>
>  Same thing might be said about SA abelisaurs.

Yes.

> >"Remain"? How many specimens are known?
> One. Means, if there was any trend or not, we can't see it. And we know
next
> to nothing about the size of its prey, and its hunting methods, and so on,
> which all ought to have influenced its size.
>
>  IIRC the same or a similar taxon is also known from AL, and is not a
giant.

AFAIK that's a tyrannosaur_id_... but I don't know, it isn't published yet.

> >What are those differences?
>
> For one thing, the orientation of the horns: lateral or caudal in bovids,
rostral or dorsal in ceratopsids.

Like deer antlers, somewhat... of course those are branched...

>  It sure looks now like they needed an antipredator defense.

It does look like they could have made good use of one. But they already had
that strong beak.

>  I also note the reported survival of tropical honeybees past the K-T,
despite their sensitivity to cold and need for angiosperms year round.
Interesting.

And I note the survival of _only_ cold-adapted camelneck flies = snakeflies
= Raphidioptera past the K-T. In the Mesozoic they were cosmopolitan, but
today they're restricted to the northern continents and don't pupate when it
doesn't get cold. There are none known from Messel.

Maybe honeybees, unlike snakeflies, reradiated into the tropics? I have no
idea of bee systematics, their fossil record and so on...