Re: No frills look at ceratopsids

In a message dated 9/21/2003 11:52:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
zone65@telstra.com writes:

>   No frills look at ceratopsids

I always thought the horns on triceratops(for example) were a little "Too
Lethal" for intraspecific combat.  Long, sharp, forward pointing horns are
really only good for stabbing or slashing with.  Sure, they could push and
shove with them, but that would ultimatly lead to some serious injuries.  Most
mammals that fight like that have hrons or antlers that are designed to lock,or
at least point back, so the are just pushing and  shoving, not stabbing.

However, when elephants fight, they can get really nasty witht heir forward
pointing tusks, and I have seen hippos kill each other with their tusks.  Most
reptiles that are territorial will avoid fighting.  It's hard to get them to
fight, unless they are confined and forced to . some of the reptiles I have
kept will fight to the death.  My veild chameleons one time got loose, and did
just that.  their thing is that they display, and one will back down.  When
they don't back down, they will fight to the death.  Many other chameleons do
the same thing.  In the wild, they only live a few years, and every bit of
territory counts.  the general rule seems to avoid fighting at all costs.  If
it gets to fighting, in many species, it is to the death.
My other species of chameleons, deremensis, tend to be much less aggressive
than the veilds.  they have horns.  out of all living creatures, the deremensis
are the ones that come closest to resembling triceratops.  I'll include a link
to a picture.  They will rarely fight.  Usually only in the mating season, and
only with two dominant males.  they'll puff up and display, then charge.  If
one doesn't back down, they'll lock horns and try to stab and shove each other.
 Dispite the fact that they're only about 15 inches total lenght, and their
horns only 2 inches long, they can, and will do serious damage.  My male has
been kind of sick lately, and when I was cleaning out his eye, he stabbed me
with his horns.  They're realy sharp, and hurt like hell.  UI have seen some
chameleons with poked out eyes(usually mortal in the wild) and puncture marks.

    Now, not only are ceratopsians and chameleons totally unrelated and the
structures analogous, but they are vastly different in size and (probably)
behavior.  It is interesting to see how animals with the identical weaponry put
them to use.  The chameleons without horns are usually the ones to fight to the
death, as their jaws are far more lethal than ther horns.  As a matter of fact,
the horns can be thought of as a means to keep the mouth of the enemy away from
them.  Ceratopsians had some nasty jaws as well.  Despite the deadliness of
their horns, I believe ceratopsians used them for fighting, althought I do not
beleive that ceratopsians would have fought as often as modern mammals do.
With their weaponry, they'd have caused too much damage.

Eric A
*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *