Re: Horn of plenty

Ah! but no Triceratops bonebeds are known (just unsubstaniated rumors). They
occur as solitary skeletons (hence individuals). Other ceratopsians (e.g.,
Monoclonius) do occur in bonebeds. No sweeping generalities about herding can
be made.
Ken

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology &
Chief Preparator
Dept. of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205

Phone: (303)370-6392
Fax: (303)331-6492
email: KCarpenter@DMNS.org

>>> <zone65@bigpond.com> 22/Sep/03 >>>
Not only that, but ceratopsians are known to have congregated in herds.
In roughly analogous mammals (elephants, rhinos) this is, at least in
part, a means of protecting their young from predation.

So Triceratops, for example, was a well-armed and defended beast that
travelled in large numbers. These factors imply they had *something* to
fear, likely not just their fellows.

Additionally, Styracosaurus sported horns around its frill... this
doesn't seem like an arrangement that would have aided intraspecific
combat, rather one that acted as a defence for the top of the neck -
from attack from above. Ditto the elongated frills of Torosaurus and
Chasmosaurus.

If a T. rex was heading your way you'd probably see, hear &/or smell it
- and from miles away, if you were on a plain. And if it couldn't run
(as we're hearing), it would be easy for you to evade it (assuming
"you" could run...). Or you could gang up with your horny mates and
charge it.

This doesn't mean T. rex had to resort to dining on non-combative,
motionless carrion. More likely it hid downwind camouflaged among
boulders or dense foliage, lunging out when an unlucky 'tops got close
enough.

Peter Markmann

Begin forwarded message: