Re: Horn of plenty

styracosaurus's spiky frill is actually in a better place for intraspecific
fighting than the nose horn.  I do not think they had necks as flexible as
modern herd animals necessary to use them as such.  Look at ibex, oryx and
other gazelle-looking ungulates, their horns point backwards too.  When locking
horns, the animals lower their heads and the spike point towards each other,
and the fight ensues.

If they could lower their heads as such, I would think that that would be a
VERY good intraspecific weapon.

The ceratopsian horns were undoubtedly a display as well, as is most
ornamentation in animals.  Bigger horns take time to grow, and are indicators
of strength.
My female deremensis will not acknoledge any other chameleon I have--but if she
sees something green with horns look out.  when she's not ready to mate, she'll
let him know.  they recognize the male's horns.

Most herd mammals with horns and antlers usually have a use for them other than
intraspecific fighting.  Although deer antlers are better for male-male
fighting than defense.  Rhinos use their horns all the time.  Cape buffalo use
their for fending off predators.  when you see extreme dimorphism, as in white
tailed deer, males only having antlers)it is a good indicator that the animal
uses the onraments primarily for fighting other males.  Very few female
chameleons have horns, and the ones that do tend to fight other females(which
hornless ones don't, and usually get along).  Animals with horned males AND
females have usually developed their horns for multi-use purposes.  (elephant
tusks, rhino horns, buffalo horns)  They "USE" them a lot.

As far as I know, there have been NO triceratops discovered with a significant
difference in horn size indicative of sexual dimorphisim.  Even if females have
reduced horns, they still have them.  This shows that they are there for a
reason other than fighting one another.  they MIGHT have used that little nose
horn for feeding(diggin stuff up or whatever) but those two others would
probably be more useful for "largest predator on earth deterrent" than anythin
else...