Re: Horn of plenty

From: Pluto77189@aol.com

styracosaurus's spiky frill is actually in a better place for intraspecific fighting than the nose horn. I do >not think they had necks as flexible as modern herd animals necessary to use them as such. Look at >ibex, oryx and other gazelle-looking ungulates, their horns point backwards too. When locking horns, >the animals lower their heads and the spike point towards each other, and the fight ensues.

I'm not so sure about that. The _Styracosaurus_ skull that I'm thinking about (the type), at least, has it's parietosquamosal spikes oriented in a dorsolateral way (moreso so lateral than dorsal). As such, if the head was pointed downward, the spikes would in turn project almost vertically, and I don't think they could lock with another set of spikes with any ease whatsoever.

As far as I know, there have been NO triceratops discovered with a significant difference in horn size >indicative of sexual dimorphisim.

Indeed, horn size varies a lot within ceratopsian species and does not necessarily seems to indicate sexual dimorphism. The angles those horns make with respect to the skull, on the other hand, >may< help to distinguish the sexes.

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

AIM: jslice mallon