Re: Frills & spills

From: zone65@bigpond.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Frills & spills
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:09:35 +1000

Begin forwarded message:

From: zone65@bigpond.com
Date: Tue Sep 23, 2003  6:10:01  PM Australia/Canberra
To: Ken Carpenter <KCarpenter@dmns.org>
Subject: Re: Horn of plenty

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 12:43 AM, Ken Carpenter wrote:
Ah! but no Triceratops bonebeds are known (just unsubstaniated rumors). They occur as solitary skeletons (hence individuals). Other ceratopsians (e.g., Monoclonius) do occur in bonebeds. No sweeping generalities about herding can be made.
Ken

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.

I see - thanks for that info. In that case, please substitute Monoclonius for Triceratops in my "hypothesis"!

That is interesting... I wonder why Triceratops would be solitary where others would live in herds. Apart from the relative size of the animals & their frill/horn configurations, what really were the differences among the ceratopsians?

Living in different depositional environments so it only looks like they're solitary? Different behavior? Who knows? The taphonomic process has a way of confounding interpretations. :-) (For a good example of this, check out the literature for the ways the interpretation of the Alberta centrosaurine bonebeds has changed over the past 20 years).

Andy

Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer-- sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup