Sex, gender, but no dromaeosaurs... (was RE: Deinonychus koreanensis)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> David Marjanovic
>
> Ah, I need to foster confusion...
>
> > Not that sex and gender are synonymous, folks!   And neither is
> > synonymous with genus.  (Or species!)  Geesch!
>
> In French, and, as I was informed, Dutch, genus and gender are homonymous
> (French: genre). (And if German were a bit more poetic, they'd be
> homonymous
> in German, too.) English is AFAIK unique in not using the same
> word for sex
> and gender :o)

In brief, with regards to the current English language usage of the words:
Sex is a biological property of organisms
Gender is a psychosocial property of individuals, which doesn't necessary
match 1:1 with sex.

Of course, not terribly long ago "sex" and "gender" WERE synonymous in the
English language.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742