Re: Goyocephale lattimorei

At 7:28 PM -0700 9/25/03, Jaime Headden wrote:

<During my recent research of Goyocephale lattimorei, I never came across the inspiration for the species name. I assume it's someone by the name of Lattimore...but who is it exactly? And why were they honored?>

I refrained from answering this question because of my limited knowledge.
However, It is my understanding that the honored Lattimore is the anthropologist
Owen Lattimore who, in the 50s--60s traveled across Mongolia with his wife,
Eleanor, to study the (then) Communist country and its native cultures. This may
be why Perle et al. named their very unique basal pachy after him. To my
knowledge, Dr. O. Lattimore is still alive, and has been the recipient of
several awards for his work in central Asia.

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica online, Owen Lattimore was born July 29, 1900 and died May 31, 1989 in Providence.

-- Jeff Hecht